Wednesday, December 1, 2010

timepieces for my wrist

Wow, it's already December. You know what that means, right? Its time to start daydreaming about all of those toys that you've accumulated on your wish list over the course of the calendar year. Am I right? (I'm certainly not wrong)...

Recently, I've grown more infatuated with watches. I stand corrected - I've developed a deeper appreciation for timepieces.

This isn't necessarily a new development - Emmelle has been observant enough over the course of our relationship to recognize my affinity for these useful accessories and has graciously gifted me with a beautiful battery-operated, large-faced Ted Baker watch and a digital Adidas watch (so I could time runners) in the past.

I had gone relatively quiet on the watch front until a recent window shopping venture led us to a luxury watch store. I marveled at the beautifully crafted pieces on display but balked at the alarming prices - all of these particular pieces ranged from $1,500 - $15,000 (and I'm sure there were more expensive watches that I missed or simply ignored because my subconscious rejected them). Before we left, one of the sales associates noticed that I was staring at the IWC display. Before I had a chance to kindly decline, she rested a $15K piece on my left wrist. In that instant, I straightened my posture and stood taller, I felt my face grow more handsome than it normally is (crazy right?!), I just simply felt better as a person. The IWC time piece, from their Portugese collection, appeared right at home on my wrist. I felt sad for her as she was placed back into the display case. I'll save you!

Why watches? Well, for one thing, they are a tantalizing feast to the eyes, so pleasing to look at. I also appreciate the precision and fastidious care that goes into constructing each intricate piece. You may not know this, but Swiss-made watches and Emmelle are comparable in their accuracy and precision. Wearing a fine watch is akin to wearing Emmelle on my wrist.

Since that fateful meeting with the IWC piece, I've spent several hours combing various Swiss makers' websites in search of an attractive and affordable timepiece with automatic movement. I also tried on a great looking Mont Blanc chronograph, but again, priced too high for a relatively new time piece aficionado such as myself. Unfortunately, one can only stare at ridiculously high price tags for so long before growing numb to four and five digit price points.

In a more recent trip to the mall, I had to convince myself not to pick up a $400+ watch to "tide me over" while continuing the search with Emmelle for a nicer piece that's suited for this soon-to-be-married man about town. This after I had just had a conversation with Super Dano about not being able to ever justify a watch purchase greater than $500. Silly, naive me.

Oh, one more excellent bit of related news. Coincidentally, Emmelle and I have been recently discussing the possibility of augmenting our honeymoon in France with a short stay in Switzerland. I hope she likes watch museums. She's the best.

Ties and watches. My two (material) loves, along with a bunch of other stuff. I'm just a simple boy who covets fine craftsmanship waiting for those finely crafted items to be given to me. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to the GreensandBrowns home page.

No comments: