Sunday, January 11, 2009

la fondue - saratoga

ML and I went to La Fondue in Saratoga for New Year's Eve with Laser and Laser Girl. This was the first time we saw Laser Girl since the Great Pacific Ocean Hunting Debacle of '08. Things seem to have settled down since that epic disaster, and I'm happy to report that the Lasers are doing quite well.

ML and I had been perusing for a quiet dinner and the four course pre-fixe menu seemed attractive at $80. This also displaced us from the usual San Francisco NYE hang, and was a welcomed change. Fortunately, the establishment was kind enough to honor their Mon - Wed no corkage fee policy on NYE. Laser provided the wine, a bottle which he eventually revealed to be in the $5.50 - $6.00 price range. For some reason, I enjoyed the wine less after learning of the price. Oddly, Laser himself claimed that this particular bottle must have been produced from a poor "batch". What are the odds we would pluck a bottle from the lone poorly-crafted batch from this fine vintage? We'll chalk this one up as bad luck...


The pre-fixe menu offered a white dipping cheese that consisted of crab meat, swiss cheese, gruyere, garlic, and champagne. It was pretty terrific; I think I could have dipped my own toes in the concoction and that would have been good as well. Fondue spots demonstrate that everything should be dipped in a cheesy medley. 

We had a bit of trouble preventing Laser from doing his best George Costanza impersonation. I personally think it added to the overall flavor. Yum!


The lobster tail was easily the highlight of the main course, followed by the prawns. 

The only issue I have with La Fondue is that the proteins are not seasoned. Patrons are meant to rely on the various dipping sauces, but without salt and pepper to start, you don't end up with exactly what you should be tasting in my opinion. I do enjoy a self-grill as much as the next guy but it's a bit too dark in the restaurant to know how much salt and pepper to apply.

Now, I think the only logical thing to do is to purchase a fondue set of my own. It's a practical appliance, isn't it? Apparently, any variance of a cheese, alcohol, and garlic mixes into something truly exquisite. What else can make a six-pack of Budweiser and a package of Velveeta cheese appealing?




Return to
GreensandBrowns home page.

No comments: