Saturday, December 20, 2008

double the fun


I have never been enamored with rainbows. But I'd never really seen one as brilliant as the one ML and I saw on a rare drive to work. 

I tried to darken the image to showcase the rainbow more but I really don't think it does it justice to what we actually saw. In my haste to capture this image, I didn't consider popping the window open, so this photo was taken from behind the windshield - you can see some raindrops on the right-hand corner. A shame, really.

We could see the entire arch from one end to the other, which is a first for me. On the left side of the arch, the bow illuminated a housing development in a magnificent array of colors. We noticed the faint second rainbow but didn't discover that the colors were actually reversed until we uploaded the photo. 

Knowledge Drop: This optical phenomenon is caused by a double reflection of sunlight in the raindrops  (I wiki'd it). It occurs every 4,000 years or so (approximate). The same wiki entry explains that some rainbow enthusiasts have witnessed tertiary and quaternary bows. These people are liars.

I have been staring at this screen for about ten minutes, not exactly sure how to conclude this post. Thus, per usual...

Return to GreensandBrowns home page.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I SAW THIS TOO!!!!