Thursday, November 20, 2008

paul k - san francisco (hayes valley)

Paul K, you forced Paul S to focus on the wine



ML and I dined at Paul K over the weekend with some friends. I had been eager to try the popular mediterannean spot in Hayes Valley. After completing our latest epicurean venture however, I felt a little unsatisfied with the forgettable experience.

There was nothing particularly bad about the place. More than anything else, I found the entrees a tad on the boring end. At mediterranean restaurants, I like ordering the smaller plates rather than the main entrees. Perhaps a more intimate setting would have allowed ML and I to trade in one of our main dishes for a couple of appetizers. I am perusing the online menu again and there seem to be some items worth trying. For what it's worth, the mezza platter we ordered for the table was delicious (especially the lamb riblets) and paired nicely with the bottle of syrah that ML picked out.

The duck and halibut were easily the best entrees, but not exquisite. All other dishes, including my braised rabbit, were boring and lacked finesse (I won't post the pictures of my rabbit dish - it looks like vomit).

Wow - I was pretty displeased with the food on Saturday night, but I just blogged myself into keeping an open mind about Paul K in the future.
Yes, the halibut stood out as a highlight. But man, look at the detail in this photo. Loving the Nikon D60...



Return to GreensandBrowns home page.

No comments: