Saturday, November 8, 2008

barack obama - winner winner, chicken dinner

I now offer a post mortem on Barack Obama's historic presidential election win. Well, not really, I just wanted to share some links. 

I didn't get the opportunity to see the announcement live so I dedicated several hours to learning of how the various networks made the announcement. There is nothing quite as moving as watching Obama supporters at Grant Park in Chicago countdown in unison for the polls to close on the west coast and then erupt in euphoria when the victory was announced. I haven't found a clean version of that so I have omitted it here.

My favorite call of the election was actually from Comedy Central. Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert teamed up to cover the election live. This was actually the first one I watched when I got home. 




You can actually see Stewart choke up and fight back tears. While this isn't Walter Cronkite informing the nation of John F. Kennedy's death, there is a certain weight to this moment as Stewart is just barely able to maintain composure on a comedy program. Obama's pending victory at that point was obvious and all that was needed were for west coast polls to close to announce the official result. Still, considering the magnitude of Obama's victory, there was obviously a huge disparity between knowing that he would win and actually learning of the desired conclusion and sharing it with a live audience. 

I want to believe that Colbert gets emotional too, but I may be talking myself into that one. Colbert's ultra-conservative TV persona are so over-the-top that it is difficult to pinpoint moments when he breaks from character. Either way, it was personally satisfying for me as I have watched these hosts' shows religiously over the last couple of months leading up to the election.

Below are Electoral College results from the last two presidential elections (sans Alaska, Hawaii). You would think that a young black man would be polarizing to the country, but not with this man. His words captivate and challenge; America answered the first challenge. Virginia, congratulations on becoming a blue state.

2004 Electoral College results:



2008 Electoral College results:



Lastly, some key footage from the real victors of the 2008 Presidential election, Saturday Night Live:






Return to GreensandBrowns homepage.

No comments: