Monday, November 24, 2008

already in need of a new lens



If a picture is worth a thousand words, I'll need to accompany all photos with a novella as my photography skills are not up to snuff. Armed with my Nikon D60, I thought that I would be capturing all noteworthy moments. Unfortunately, the camera is a little too bulky to carry as often as I would like. And even when I do have it on person, I am not artistic enough to recognize when a great photo op comes along; somebody has to bludgeon me with a hard object for me to pinpoint a perfect opportunity.

I was fortunate enough to have my Nikon D60 with me on MUNI yesterday. 

A couple walked onto the train and continued a conversation that had commenced prior to boarding. I didn't hear anything because I wasn't interested at first but I watched the girl (in sunglasses) mouth to her boyfriend, "wow" in a very infuriated manner after he had finished explaining something to her. She crossed her legs to purposely turn away and proceeded to ignore him for the next five minutes. The reticent guy split the agonizing minutes staring at the ground and the inseam in his jeans. His countenance appeared as a child who had just wet his bed.

And right then, I felt a mental smack across my temple. Camera Time!

Obviously, I couldn't capture exactly what I saw. To be fair, there were a couple of obstacles in my way. Firstly, a crazed, overgrown toddler sat next to me screaming at the top of his lungs while his parents sat idly by, probably pleased with how expressive their kid is. Additionally, my lens isn't powerful enough to zoom closer and I couldn't risk getting caught snapping pictures of strangers (and getting spit on by the fatso directly in front of me).

In five minutes time, the guy formed a smirk on his face and began to engage his girlfriend. He says something, no response. He offers his hand, not taken (by the way, this is the tell-all sign that your girl is pissed at you, as if there needed to be confirmation of such things). Finally, she takes off her sunglasses and says something. It must be playful because he smiles. An olive branch. He says something back. She bites him on the neck. They both laugh. All is forgiven; their world moves forward.

What seemed like a serious matter resolved itself very quickly. I concluded that it was a stupid conversation followed by some jealous reaction and settled with both parties admitting some culpability.

Thus, I offer my interpretation of the conversation that preceded boarding MUNI:

CRAZY: So, if you could be with anyone other than me who would it be?
STUPID: Um, I don't think about that.
CRAZY: C'mon, the train isn't gonna be here for another three minutes. Entertain me.
STUPID: O.K. fine, you start though.
CRAZY: Well, I've actually thought about this...
STUPID: You have? Well, I have too then...
CRAZY: What?!
STUPID: I'm just kidding, you were saying?
CRAZY: You'd better be joking. I can't choose between Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp. It's such a tough choice.

(Train arrives at 2nd and King.)

STUPID: Ha, ok. Since I'm a great guy - you can have either. Let's get on.
CRAZY: Ok, but you still have to answer.

(Couple boards train. They sit next to each other.)

INNOCENT: Well, if I could get with someone, I guess I would choose your roommate Sarah.
CRAZY: WOW!

The moral of the story: I need a new lens. Thanks.

Return to
GreensandBrowns home page.

No comments: