Sunday, November 14, 2010

south korea (part 6 of 9)

Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 | Day 4 | Day 5 | Day 6 | Day 7 | Day 8 | Day 9


South Korea 2010: A day by day retrospective

Day 6; Humbled by Messi

Day 6 can really be summed up by two events - getting measured and choosing colors and garments for our wedding hamboks and the game 2 clash with Argentina with good pal SMP. In between, we shared meals with family members, and my Nikon D60 decided to shut down for the night.

I've been fiddling with Picasa's collage feature (I hadn't noticed it until a few days ago), and it's really making these pictorial summaries much easier to share. Terrific. The shots below are from a famous garment district in Seoul. Emmelle's aunt already had a relationship with this particular clothier, and the mom-and-pop shop did a pretty solid job in helping us select our colors. I had a good time there, and it really made me want to spend another couple of hours with some of the suit tailors in the building as well. Oh well, no time to direct them to help craft a fine womanly cut for me. These luscious silk fabrics would have to suffice:

hambok in korea

After the hambok adventure, we had lunch with another one of Emmelle's aunts, a welcoming combination of kal gook soo (a flour-based noodle and starchy broth dish) and tasty bo ssam (steamed pork and some other fixings). For dinner, one of my younger cousins who I hadn't seen in nearly a decade, met us for ddak kalbi (chicken ribs) near her university.

On to game two.

We walked through busy city hall where billions of Koreans were gathering for the critical match. After the convincing win against Greece, the Korean media had been running report after report of how the national squad could pull off the stunning upset against one of the top teams in the tournament (and best player Messi). And everyone bought into it. The country was delusional. I, on the other hand, was incredibly upset with the fact that we couldn't take any pictures of the World Cup frenzy. Of all that we did and experienced, for me, it's the coolest part of our trip. To be there during the World Cup. I can only imagine what it was like in 2002 when Korea co-hosted. Five months later, I still regret my camera's betrayal.

Emmelle and I watched the first half on the streets (2-1 Argentina advantage) and caught the rest of the match at a restaurant/bar in SMP's office building. Argentina tacked on a couple of more goals. At the final whistle, I watched a man in the bar slouch over on his seat, completely crestfallen. That's how I felt. No pictures of this cool night. After some catch-up conversation with SMP, we went back upstairs and were astonished that the streets were nearly completely empty. Wow. Imagine if we were here for a win.

We'll save that one for four years from now.

Thanks for stopping by.

Return to the GreensandBrowns home page.

No comments: