Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Weezer at San Jose Events Center - 10.13 (Part 1)


On Monday night, I went to the Weezer show with my sisters, ML, and a couple of other friends at the San jose Events Center. 

I plan to follow up with a more detailed blog on my impressions of the show.

(Thanks to Jennie Kim for providing the pictures; we couldn't hang with the wannabe moshers and had to move to some bleachers near the back)

Until then, some quick hits that resonate the day after:
  • The best moment for me was the B-Side "Suzanne". The boys started the number in a capella (a la barber shop quartet) and seamlessly went into a heavier, guitar crunching version of the song. I thought they executed it quite well, and it was cool to see them showcase the harmonic abilities that have highlighted their musical catalogue since their first album
  • "I need some Rogaine to put in my hair" - Rivers is balding pretty noticeably and seems to be embracing it by growing out his hair and accentuating the look
  • Trampoline on stage (more explanation in future post)
  • I don't think Weezer could get away with not playing both "Undone (The Sweater Song)" and "Buddy Holly" at a concert. However, as ML astutely pointed out, Rivers looks like Buddy Holly no more
  • Weezer isn't Weezer without Cuomo's lyrics and voice. There is a clear departure from this beginning with The Red Album and evident in the sharing of lead vocals during the show (including "My Name is Jonas", "Say It Ain't So", "El Scorcho", the list goes on...). This is not promising for the new record as half of their latest album is a throwaway without Rivers' lead vocals
  • Rivers to bassist Scott Shriner: "Thank you for rocking my heart and soul"
  • Kneepads
  • Lots of college students and younger. It looks like the boys and their record label have done a noteworthy marketing job through MTV and YouTube
Set List:

  1. My Name Is Jonas
  2. Pink Triangle
  3. Perfect Situation
  4. Say It Ain’t So
  5. Suzanne
  6. Keep Fishin’
  7. King
  8. Undone (The Sweater Song)
  9. Pork & Beans
  10. Dope Nose
  11. Troublemaker
  12. Thought I Knew
  13. Hash Pipe
  14. El Scorcho
  15. Time (Pink Floyd cover)
  16. The Greatest Man That Ever Lived
  17. Island in the Sun - HOOTENANNY
  18. Beverly Hills
  19. Heart Songs (via LP)
  20.  Sliver (Nirvana cover) - ENCORE
  21. Buddy Holly
Return to GreensandBrowns home page.

No comments: