Tuesday, October 21, 2008

the house, san francisco (north beach)

In high school, I wrote a food column for our school newspaper, The Charger Account. We initially penned the colum "Eclectic Edibles" but a Puff Daddy-esque name change came in my Junior year and my partner and I were born again as "Kitchen Kritics". I honor that tradition going forward in this blog. But hopefully with less critiquing as I really loathe some of the inane reviews you find on sites like Yelp.

ML and I went to The House on Friday night. I have been there a few times before and must say that it is one of my favorite places in the city. It helps that the prices are relatively cheap and the portions are pretty massive for quasi-fine dining. The dishes are comprised of Americana cuisine with Asian influence.

Tangent: I'm trying to avoid using the word " fusion". I don't think it's a relevant word anymore considering how connected the world has become. Food has been affected by globalization as much anything else. Fusion is more of an expectation than not. Culinary points of view should be described as "traditional" if it is any different.

Shrimp and chive dumplings:



Hamachi sashimi with avocado (and some sort of mild relish):



Chilean Sea Bass:



Flatiron Steak with Chinese-style Noodles (wasabi flavored) - probably their signature dish:

That's it! Always yummy. Oh, we did have the creme brule with had some sort of lichee syrup. Not successful.

Return to GreensandBrowns home page.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering...

Mmmm....