Monday, January 9, 2012

mendocino bed and breakfast

It's been quite some time since my last long-winded blog post. Even if I tried, I couldn't produce anything at this moment. Just like anything else, you have to dust off the cob webs and slowly churn the gears back into solid working condition. Everything goes stale if unused. I need a recharge with my overly verbose writing style.

But until I'm refueled, I'll try my best to tell stories with photos. The ones below are from a recent two night trip that Emmelle and I took after our first Christmas holiday as a married couple. The retreat served as a relaxing getaway after days of familial get-togethers. Married couples can pontificate all they want to about the advantages and disadvantages of having family near or far, but it's really pointless. If distance prevails, you long for a grand family reunion to invoke holiday memories of years past. If your family lurks near, you want to slam the gas pedal in the opposite direction - maybe north to a Mendocino bed and breakfast.

wine tasting at goldeneye winery

There are some really nice wineries on the way to Mendocino. Our favorite was the Goldeneye vineyard where we sampled some tasty pinots and even a Duckhorn cab. It's renewed a desire to be passionate and knowledgeable about wine. I'm skeptical though, I'm not sure I'll ever feel strongly about grape juice. However, I'll just have to make a habit of buying expensive bottles to make sure.

emmelle walking along mendocino coast

Emmelle exploring the Mendocino coastline. We carved our names into the massive trunk of this tree and had a romantic picnic lunch (there is a chance that this last sentence is completely false).

glass beach in fort bragg

While Mendocino county is vast, the actual city is incredibly small. Visits that far north usually include a further ten minute drive north along the coast to Fort Bragg, home of the famed Glass Beach. In the forties and fifties, locals used the beach as a dumping area. Years of ocean waves and salt have corroded some of the trash and have yielded a colorful array of glass pieces along the shore. I believe the beach used to be more abundant with colors, but visitors have ignored the county's mandate to leave the beautiful litter for others to enjoy. It's certainly worth seeing, yet it's hard to determine whether some pieces have been "naturally" birthed by Mother Nature or it's simply beer bottle shards of a rowdy high school party from the previous weekend.

Thanks for stopping by!

Return to the GreensandBrowns home page.

No comments: