Thursday, April 28, 2011

ardbeg 10 years

Islay (pronounced "I-luh") is a Scottish island made popular by some of the more famous single malt distilleries in the world - Lagavulin, Laphroig, Ardbeg and Bowmore. All of these whiskys share a common thread - the presence of a wonderful peat in each and every one of their whisky expressions. Peat is formed from decay of vegetation (and perhaps murdered humans) and forms regularly in wetland bogs, marshes, swamp forests and the like. Coincidentally, those locations are also perfect places to hide murdered humans.

Why is it important in whisky production? Well, peat is often used as a source of heat and fuel and distilleries burn it to dry the malted barley. The Islay distilleries in particular use quite a bit more than the average single malt maker and basically hit you over the head with the wonderful peatiness of their drams.

It's not a taste that's enjoyed by all and certainly not by a novice whisky drinker. It can generally be described as smokey, salty and briny. I definitely enjoy it.

A couple of months ago, the Mustard Clan gave me a bottle of Ardbeg 10 years. My Ear, Nose, Throat picks up a subtle sweetness, a meaty BBQ smoke, in addition to what I can only describe as a spearmint finish before that hearty campfire smoke lingers on your throat and tongue for a long time. The smoke is very impressive, if you return to your empty glass the next day, the smoke is still very prominent. Actually, that's what I hear happens because I'm not one to leave dirty dishes in the sink, that's not me. It's just not. So I've only heard that. What I have experienced firsthand is the smallest of pours filling up a room with a wonderful peat aroma.

The one element of this whisky that perplexes me is the spearmint finish. I've read some other resources that describe it as more of a citrus (lemon) note - it's an interesting contrast to the brine, and I'm looking forward to tasting some of the other Ardbeg expressions.

Thanks to the Mustards, and thanks for stopping by.

Return to the GreensandBrowns home page.

ardeg 10 years

No comments: