Saturday, February 12, 2011

yamazaki 12 years

yamazaki 12 years

About a week after I purchased Highland Park 12 years, I returned to the wine merchant near my office intent on bringing home a second bottle of scotch. I made it my objective to procure a smokier, peatier scotch as a worthy counterpart to Highland Park's honeyed qualities. Well, I guess I failed in some sense because The Yamazaki 12 year (not a scotch, not peaty) rests comfortably next to the HP12 (not Harry Potter) on top of my fridge at the moment. I knew nothing of this whisky before purchase other than Emmelle's proclamation that one of her co-workers had said it was a good one. Sold!

I did just a bit of research after my purchase - first single malt whisky distillery of its kind outside of Scotland, started sometime in the early 1920s. While only a Scottish borne whisky can truly be a scotch, the distillation process is very similar. A good whisky is a good whisky is a good whisky, and I definitely enjoy this one. It smells of toffee, and that initial experience on the nose remains when you touch it on your lips and tongue.
One might mistake the Yamazaki for a bottle of maple syrup; it smells and tastes like it too. It's pretty pleasing and finishes with a relaxing smoke in your throat.

However, because of my relatively poor ability to identify flavors on their own, I relied on a direct comparison with the HP12. I would say that the Highland Park 12 year is a bit more viscous and definitely more complex. The Yamazaki 12 year, while good, was more of a one note experience for me. Ultimately, it may be slightly too sweet for my preference, but great to nip on after a meal.

If I were to rate it on a scale of 0 - 1 with 0 being undrinkable and 1 being drinkable, I would rate the Yamazaki 12 year with a resounding 1!

Togna came over to enjoy the tasting with me, and he made the connection between the parent distillery (Suntory) and the indie film favorite Lost in Translation (below). We also concluded that nothing is a collection until you have at least five of whatever it is you are trying to collecting. I love collecting thoughts about collecting things.



Thanks for stopping by!

Return to the GreensandBrowns home page.

No comments: