Friday, February 4, 2011

2010 - looking back and looking forward

I always feel a little devious when I wrote during work hours; but I can't help myself today as my inability to pen a PowerPoint deck has made it possible for a little catch up on GreensandBrowns. I meant to take a proper look back on the year that just passed, but the last six weeks have vanished like sand sliding between your fingers. That's what's happened to my memories from this past year as well; all that's left is a small pile of sand in my palm. It's time to cover it up, protect it from the elements, just some of the things I can recall at this moment, off the top of my head:
  • New title: Senior Analyst to Manager
  • I moved from a frat house in the Sunset to a (one bedroom-sized) studio in the Richmond
  • I engaged myself with Emmelle
  • Colonel Mustard and General Mustard engaged each other
  • C-Monster completed her first year of undergrad
  • Emmelle and I visited the motherland (Korea)
  • I traveled to western Europe for the first time (Germany and UK)
Wow, that seems like a decent list. There is always more change in life than I think.

And now, one month into the new year, there are already new and pending changes that are sure to have a significant impact both personally and professionally. The obvious one is our wedding in May. New traditions, new habits, new sleeping pattern, new home, new everything. I am excited for it.

The other, which I only learned of this week, is a dear friend's departure from my company. Throughout my career, I have been both blessed and adept at identifying and aligning myself with strong mentors. At the end of the day, they are role models, and the best education for me has always been to try to emulate the work that they produce, mimic the way they interact with others and navigate difficult waters. It happens through osmosis, direct feedback and my own personal desire to be better. He's definitely helped me to become better. I will miss him.

Lastly, perhaps a poetic convergence emerges between these two changes. Without knowing exactly who, I assume there's at least one young person out there who recognizes elements of my life and/or behavior as a directional model. Maybe it's the lovely bride-to-be that I've chosen, or perhaps the smart career choices that I've made, or (most likely) my sophisticated fashion sense. Am I right? Could I be wrong?!

Thanks for stopping by.

Return to the GreensandBrowns home page.

No comments: