Wednesday, April 10, 2013

day three of ten on the east coast


In short, an extremely long (yet successful) day, highlighted by a worthwhile dinner.

The day started in the office, prepping and rehearsing for an afternoon pitch. The prospective client is about an hour west in New Jersey and the meeting went smoothly - no material hiccups to speak of. On the way back to the city, I hopped on another call for the west coast and remained in our office past 8pm before heading out to dinner. It was a long day for sure, but it’s easier to stomach these things when (1) you’re on the road, and (2) you've completed a successful meeting.

A co-worker was thoughtful enough to make a dinner reservation at Ma Peche, one of the restaurants in the David Chang Momofuku portfolio. Dinner was terrific, no material complaints, but I was a little confused about the overall vision or direction of the food (I actually don't even know what I mean by that). Nevertheless, David Chang remains my hero, and I was pleased to check off another one of his restaurants on my “must-eat” list. I was happiest when his famous pork buns came to our table - a sure indication that we were dining within the walls of the Momofuku empire.

The absolute best thing we ate, and a dish that had me banging my fist on the table in pleasant astonishment, was a foie gras with sarsaparilla, malt and brioche. What a delight.

One other thing. Manhattan is obviously expensive, and sometimes, laughably so. Among several prices in the ridiculous zone, Ma Peche pours a Yamazaki 18 for $50. I was drinking this same thing at a hotel bar for half the cost earlier in the week. I really need to get my hands on a few of these bottles before it starts to retail for over $200. It’s going to happen.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: