Tuesday, May 31, 2011

honeymoon in france (6th full day)

I'm cheating. It's actually the morning of day seven as I write this and Emmelle and I are safe and sound in the comforts of our rented one bedroom condo in Nice. I am sure I am the first American to ever say this: Nice is nice!

We hopped on a 7:45am train from the Gare de Lyon station in Paris and arrived here at just past 1:20pm yesterday. The ride down was fairly quick and in some instances, wonderfully idyllic. We passed through rural farmlands, wine vineyards and picturesque beach towns with apartment complexes (or rich people's homes?!) constructed on cliff sides right along the water. Just like you see in photos of towns near the Mediterranean say to yourself, "I want to go to there" (trademark Liz Lemon from 30 Rock).

We took very few pictures yesterday because we did so little, but promise to put together some choice cuts tonight. I promise! The sun was out and air warm yesterday, providing a perfect beach lounging day that we were unfortunately too tired to take advantage of. But, we did muster enough energy to relax by an outdoor bar on the sand (rocks) and grocery shop for our modern design home for the week.


It's the type of home that you see in Dwell magazine, white walls, high ceilings, rustic wood flooring, compact but full of character in its ability to creatively shove in as many home appliances as possible. The washer is in the kitchen (no dryer), the fridge is a pull-out cupboard, etc. I'm sure it's nothing innovative to what already exists in billions of large European cities, and maybe some NYC modern homes for that matter.

And thereafter, I took a nap around 5pm and slept until 4am this morning. These deleterious naps have been eye opening (pun intended) to say the least. I don't think I'm jet lagged anymore; I just think that given the option to choose leisurely traveler as a profession, I would surely spend a quarter of the daytime on a bed/couch/body lying apparatus completely unconscious.

Speaking of leisurely travel, I feel great to have reached a life stage in which (1) I've found the perfect travel (and life) partner to complement my quirky characteristics and "elementary" needs (Emmelle's description); (2) I've reached a point in my career that monetarily affords me easy travel abroad. These are great things. What's not so great is a nagging back pain that has substantially worsened during our time here. I am popping Advil multiple times a day just to keep up with Emmelle, and I know that a condition like this can only be alleviated temporarily, and most likely can never be permanently healed. This is life I suppose; as soon as we are of a sound mind and healthy, supportive environment, our physical abilities betray us. It's like an aging athlete, especially Magic Johnson.

Thanks for stopping by!

Return to the GreensandBrowns home page.

No comments: