Sunday, March 8, 2009

five seconds (or much less)



After fumbling with an extremely lengthy draft of this entry, I am conceding defeat and moving forward with this abridged version. I leave it to my Jumpmen brethren to capture the exhilaration of this memorable afternoon. I apologize for any crude language. These guys didn't get the memo that GreensandBrowns is a family-friendly blog.


WonQ explains:

"I think the real payoff is the unique sense of accomplishment.  It's not so much a win over nature or death, as we know that it's actually really safe, but more so a victory over self-doubt and insecurity.  It's a very personal victory.  Nobody pushed me off that bridge.  Nobody jumped (alright, lean) alongside with me.  I fought off those demons on my own and I came out on top.  The pictures don't capture that, but I think if you look at the picture of the four of us before and after, you catch a small glimpse."



Federal Investigation explains: 

"Before (on the rail): Oh my god, i can't do this. Seriously, what the fuck am i doing? What if i die? [gripping the rail tight, knuckles white]. Oh man, it's beautiful up here. Damn it, tell that little girl to count her way into the damn car.  Okay, [Whistle Blower] told me it's going to be okay. i feel better. Stand up...okay, standing...5 4 3 2 1 During: !!! blank out...whoa! the bungee cord stretching out to its full length felt really smooth. up we go again, don't touch the cord. phew, done. After: Exhilarated, scared shitless, shaking, smiling until it hurts. probably wouldn't do it again but would recommend it."


Togna explains: 

"BEFORE - bungee jumping wasn't really something i was dying to do.   but i wondered how it might feel to do something that normally results in immediate death.  and in doing so, maybe i would more closely understand my own mortality.  and in doing so, maybe i would more deeply understand my life.

DURING - start countdown. 5, 4, holy shit. why's the little indian girl counting down so fast; when i get back up i'm gonna punch her in her forehead. 3, 2, 1, gulp. blood curdling scream. start falling. oh well, too late now. left calf cramp. i stop breathing. i want to stop falling. i want this to end. am i still falling? oh shit, i'm falling up now. what is this? i want this to end. my head's gonna hit the bridge. i want my mommy. oh shit, i'm falling again. repeat x3.

AFTER - bungee jumping isn't really something i'm dying to do."

I will get no closer to feeling like a super hero than this; I deeply regret not wearing a cape during my fall. Stay tuned for more Jumpmen adventures in the near future.

Your turn.

Return to the GreensandBrowns home page.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

holy. crap. again.

Anonymous said...

i hate when people say, THIS IS EPIC.

but, these pictures are really.. super.. duper.. epic.

i'm proud of you and i'm glad you didn't die.

clara said...

you guys are... WOW

Anonymous said...

nice~! no picture of you jumping?