Sunday, August 30, 2015

adult orthodonics: volume II

Back when I wrote volume I of this tome in February of 2014, I left devout readers ABSOLUTELY hanging by concluding that I would write more on the topic in six months. Alas, I never did!

I am happy to announce that the opportunities to write more on this topic with all of this gear in my mouth will (should) be short-lived. October 9. That’s the scheduled date for extraction, and I couldn’t be more excited. Looking back on the whole thing – a full two years has come and passed – I realize now that there is really nothing of interest to say about it. Its uncomfortable, its annoying, its slightly embarrassing; that sentiment doesn’t fluctuate in the slightest.

Save just one thing.

It has been remarkable to watch Young Master Caleb reach milestones – both physical and mental. The advances he has achieved after hitting ten months have especially been impressive and stunning. It feels like an awakening of sorts, starting to get to a place in both mind and body with full realization of self and his environment.

Just a handful of weeks ahead of this recent development however, Young MC had reached a point in his progress to recognize that something was peculiar or at least unique regarding the contents of my mouth. He would curiously poke and prod and stare inquisitively. Or we might be playing together. He yields a smile, I smile; he stares and ceases all activity. The prodding commences. It’s time to investigate this familiar man’s teeth again. His eyes basically scream, “WHAT IS THIS?”

He will of course not recall any of this in future years. But for the time being, I must appear monstrous. And if not for familiarity, there would be no affection or interaction awarded. I would be like another stranger – accept a grizzly machine-like version. Don’t get me wrong; it feels warm and wonderful when he shoves his index finger into my mouth. Yet it’s a harsh reminder veiled in a cute pudgy finger.  You are different. You are not supposed to have this all over my teeth. All would say the same if not for the niceties demanded by our society.

October 9 cannot come soon enough.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: