Wednesday, June 23, 2010

the fantasy continues - korea 2010 seafood

from korea

What good is a trip without sampling some of a country's wonderful culinary creations?

I had a game plan of eating my way through the country, particularly feasting on the freshest, rawest seafood I could get my hands (mouth) on. Secondarily, I didn't want to rely on anglo-Americans like Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern of Travel Channel fame to tell me what I should be eating in South Korea. That's terrible. I needed to compile my own list of do's and dont's when it comes to Korean cuisine.

(Sad but true: I made sure to view Bourdain and Zimmern's respective South Korean episodes as part of my travel research. Pathetic)

Well, my ambitious eating agenda was foiled. It wasn't the heat or any post-travel stomach ailment that suppressed my appetite. Rather, I had underestimated the sheer volume of food that we'd need to consume when sharing meals with family members. Will we expect our children, nephews and nieces to gorge themselves? Will we derive pleasure from this? Certainly.

Additionally, I didn't consider how much food Koreans eat for breakfast. A full bowl of rice complete with all the sides that should accompany a large banquet dinner. Oh man! I'm not saying it wasn't delicious, which it was; it's just too much, and too much sodium at that. Eating that much to start your day completely derails it. All you can think about is how to properly suck in your stomach and carry yourself through all of the day's activities. It's uncomfortable to sit, it's tiresome to stand...

Let's not even discuss constipation anxiety.

Anyway, when we did eat, it sure was fantastic. More thoughts to come...

from korea

from korea

Thanks for stopping by.

Return to the GreensandBrowns home page.

1 comment:

KOREA.NET said...

Korea.net is the official website of the Rep. of Korea. For our “Blogging on Korea” section on our webpage, we pick nice and appropriate blog posts and introduce them to our visitors.

We’d like to outlink your blog post "the fantasy continues - korea 2010 seafood" on our web, so we can share it with our visitors. Thank you for your source, and please visit our website and other official social networking channels.(see the links below)

twitter: http://twitter.com/koreanet
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/KoreaClickers