Monday, April 6, 2009

where the wild things are

Dude! How freaking cool is this? Where The Wild Things Are, everyone's favorite read in kindergarten (first grade?) hits the big screen later this year. 

My initial skepticism was assuaged after learning that Spike Jonze directs the mystical world of our childhood adoration. Plus, I am a sucker for movie trailers and these frames appear to cradle the imaginative energy that captivated us in the first place.

It's funny how you can articulate childhood wonderment as a cognitive adult. I couldn't articulate my affection for this tale when it was at its most relevant in my life. But now I can. Looking back, the story possessed the greatest of possibilities for me; its pages rivaled the limits of my own imagination. I can't recall how many sleepless nights I longed to be that kid clothed in the white onesie with the pointy ears and tail. He represented an escapism that could not be identified by a child. His friends and adventures depicted a boundless world that I could somehow discover...somehow...

Ultimately, the print to film adaptation demands a small forfeit of imagination. The moving pictures and sounds don't leave any interpretation for how the boy's new found friends lurk and speak. That's why kids should read the book first before watching the movie. And that's why this is one of those seminal stories that we'll be sharing with our own kids, hopefully long before they get their paws on the movie (I won't say DVD because there will be a different format in a few years). 

For those who have read Where The Wild Things Are, there is nothing that can sully its lasting memory.

I really can't wait for this.



Return to the GreensandBrowns home page.

No comments: